SIR Programs for Newcomers
SIR Programs are free of charge
SIR provides job preparation, training and integration workshops and seminars free of charge to all refugees and immigrants who meet the criteria listed below:
- Candidate is applying for asylum, has been granted asylum and/or is an immigrant
- Candidate is 18 years of age or older
- Candidate has received a basic work permit
- Candidate is motivated, friendly and reliable
CV Workshop and Registration
- Held every Thursday (except on bank holidays) from 15:00 (3 pm) to 17:00 (5 pm) at Eine Welt Haus located at Schwanthalerstr. 80.
Please find room number at the entrance of the building on the red sheet.
- No appointment is necessary and the workshop is free.
- Please bring:
- Your ID (Ausweis oder Passport)
- Your Work Permit (if you have one)
- Your CV – if you already have one.
CV Photo Shoot
- The CV photo gives our candidates the chance to make a good first impression to a potential employer.
- A professional photo can result in the difference between being invited for an interview and being placed aside
- Every four to six weeks, the photographer and our SIR job candidates meet at our new offices for a two to three hour photo shoot.
- The CV Photo Shoot is sponsored by Social Impact Lab.
Basic Computer Literacy & Coding
Basic Computer Literacy – BCL (1)
- The BCL Program is a series of one-on-one workshop sessions where candidates can learn the necessary computer skills to be considered for many jobs with advancement possibilities.
- Topics include:
- Understanding how to work with a computer – operating systems, files and folders, keyboards, mouse, etc.
- Understanding the basics of Internet and Internet Safety. An important part of this module is learning how to “Google” and find answers on your own.
Basic Computer Literacy – BCL (2)
- Emails & Calendars – at the end of this module, a candidate will have created a Gmail account he/she can use via several devices in order to write, send and receive formal and informal emails with or without attachments, keep an orderly inbox and also use the calendar function in order to manage appointments and schedules.
- Develop the basic skills of working with Word and Excel using the free Google documents.
Advanced Programming Course
- In partnership with CodeDoor.org, SIR provides an Advanced Programming Course.
- At the end of this advanced program, candidates:
- Have the hard skills of programming languages
- Think like a programmer.
- With these newly acquired hard and soft skills, candidates are better equipped to successfully enter the workforce as an entry programmer.
The SIR Mentoring Program focuses on 3 key aspects:
Contact with the mentor accelerates learning the German language and improving kills (hard and soft) which are necessary to find sustainable work in Germany
The mentor helps the newcomer with:
- Practice job interview sessions under the guidance of the SIR team.
- Overcoming potential cultural and language barriers during the first months of employment.
- Cultural Integration:
The mentor facilitates:
- Mentee’s access to German society so that he/she can participate in social and cultural activities and become acquainted with locals
- Exchange whereby both sides can learn from each which ultimately leads to an enriched and peaceful society.
- Excellent Case Story – one of our mentees has joined a local chess club with the support of his mentors. This mentee is now participating in chess competitions with his club in other German cities, thereby giving him back a piece of his identity and creating ties in the German community.